It's time for Fitness Fridays with Noel from High Heeled Mama!
Last week, I was really proud of myself for working out 5 times! However, my back was not in agreement. So Saturday, after a morning mammogram, breakfast out with the hubby, shopping at Sprouts, and a long dog walk, my back said "no more". I spent the remainder of the day sitting in bed with a heating pad on my lower back. You see, I have scoliosis (curvature of the spine), and sometimes it doesn't let me do the things I want to do. When I was younger, I did practically anything I wanted. I used to take all kinds of aerobics classes. I was in drill team for 4 years in high school and college, and continued to take dance classes until my 30's. I had to stop after I realized it was taking me 2 days to recuperate from a 1-hour dance class. It was a really sad time for me, because I always loved to dance. Fast forward to the present. After my sedentary life of a grad student for 3 years, my back is not very strong right now. I hadn't seen my back doctor for 2 years (due to changes in insurance), until last Wednesday. New x-rays were taken, and he said in the 4 years since I started seeing him, my curvature has not changed. This is good news, because it means that surgery is not in my future. The bad news is, I have to continue to deal with the daily pain and discomfort. He prescribed a muscle relaxer, an anti-inflamatory, and Pilates/core exercises to strengthen my back muscles. I have taken Pilates before, but it's been at least 10 years. But I do have a book that explains all the exercises by level (beginner thru advanced), and my gym has JUST ONE Pilates/Yoga mix class on Saturday mornings, which I fully intend to try. Let's just hope I can wake up and make it to the gym by 9:15am! This week I have noticed that my workouts are getting better, even though I've only been to the gym twice this week. But I fully intend on going again tonite, and hopefully the Pilates/Yoga class in the morning. Baby steps..... :)



I think what you do accomplish is awesome, especially when you have a painful physical ailment! I can relate somewhat of course, but at least my injury is in a very specific location and can be avoided... I really intend to get into yoga soon (maybe when we move to a bigger house and I can have a dedicated space to stretch out and relax?) because I need to start taking steps to "free up my mind" and sleep better!
ReplyDelete